The hunt begins again for the men, women and companies going the extra mile for safety in the UK oil and gas industry.
Individuals and businesses from across the sector are being encouraged to enter this year’s Offshore Safety Awards taking place at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre on August 23.
Jointly organised by Oil & Gas UK and Step Change in Safety with Maersk Oil as principal sponsor, the annual safety awards celebrate the people and companies striving to make the UK Continental Shelf as safe as possible.
Nominations for the six categories have opened with a new addition of the Operational Integrity Award – which recognises a company’s understanding and effective application of risk management in delivering safe operations.
Mick Borwell, Health, Safety and Environment Policy Director with Oil & Gas UK, said:
“All the winners and finalists in 2016 were extremely worthy and demonstrated high standards and excellent work in promoting safety in their own workplace and across the industry. We look forward to seeing this year’s entries and hope to attract even more people and workplaces where their efforts are having a positive impact on the sector.”
The awards – hosted in a theatre-style ceremony – will see the audience participating in the judging. Finalists will film video selfies and explain on the day what they have been doing to contribute toward safety.
Les Linklater, Executive Director with Step Change in Safety, said: “The offshore and onshore workforce is key to the prevention of major accidents and we should celebrate their hard work and dedication to safety – that’s what is at the heart of Offshore Safety Awards.
“The ceremony also gives the industry an opportunity to share and learn from one another, while also honouring and recognising the important people who play their part in continually improving our safety performance.
“Last year’s award ceremony was well received and we look forward to hosting the next one in August.”
All entries must be submitted by 26 May with the finalists being announced at the end of June. The categories in the Offshore Safety Awards are:
• Safety Leadership – for an inspirational leader who motivates and engages their team to work safely.
• Safety Representative of the Year – for an enthusiastic and committed safety rep that is driving the safety agenda at their worksite.
• Innovation in Safety – for a company which has put in place a clever process or technique to improve safety either across an organisation or at an individual worksite.
• Workforce Engagement – for an individual or team which has actively embraced engagement with its workers on safety matters, showing how a commitment to worker involvement in safety has contributed to an improvement in safety performance.
• Operational Integrity – for an individual or team which has delivered increased efficiency or understanding of risk by putting in place sensible and proportionate risk management solution(s).
• Sharing and Learning – for an individual/team or company that can demonstrate a learning and sharing culture either within their organisation, or who has made a significant contribution to health and safety through active participation in, or engagement with Oil & Gas UK or Step Change in Safety.
For full details on the categories and how to enter, please visit: www.offshoresafetyawards.com